Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Is God Enough for Me?

The title of this post may seem like a silly question to some, but it's something that I really asked myself during my devotional time. Is God really enough for me? Really?

Currently, I'm doing a reading plan with my Pursue Journal from the City Bible church in Portland. This morning, I found myself in the book of Joshua, reading chapters 12-15. This portion of scripture veers away from the epic battles and incredible supernatural intervention to give us a bit of logistical information and historical fact. This is usually the type of thing that I have to *try* to read, because, like a lot of us, I want to get to the "good" stuff.

In chapter 13, the land of Canaan is being divided among the tribes of Israel — remember, this isn't like figuring how to divide the remains of a cheesecake. They're dividing up a massive amount of land to bless these tribes, with the intention of living and thriving in these places for generations.

Then, verses 32 and 33 say, "These are the territories which Moses apportioned for an inheritance in the plains of Moab, beyond the Jordan at Jericho to the east. But to the tribe of Levi, Moses did not give an inheritance; the Lord, the God of Israel, is their inheritance, as He had promised to them."

My first thought was, "How unfair is that?" I pictured a child watching their parents give out presents on Christmas morning to all of their siblings. After everything was unwrapped, the mom and dad look down at the gift-less child and say, "Your present is being with us today." How shattering would that experience be as a child.

Then, the truth hit me. God should be all that I really need, but is that the way that I live my life? If the world stopped today, and all of my goals and dreams were left unaccomplished, would that be OK with me? When all of my "inheritance" is stripped away, and I'm left with Jesus, am I still satisfied?

I don't want to have a relationship with Christ that's weighted on how many blessings I receive or the incredible direction that my life is heading. My life in Christ should be based solely on Christ, because...well, that's the best inheritance anyway.

Is God, just God, enough for you?

Grace Be With You

No comments:

Post a Comment